Monday, February 13, 2006

Site visits

Free Image Hosting at ImageShack.us
Near the site where the prophet meditate regularly before the revelations came.

It was in a cave here where the first revelation came.

The traditionists have related on the strength of their respective authorities the story of the beginning of revelation from Imam Az-Zuhri, who had it from Hadrat Urwah bin Zubair, who had it from Hadrat Aishah, his aunt. She states that revelations to the Holy Prophet (upon whom be peace) began in the form of true (according to other traditions, good) visions. Whichever vision he saw it seemed as though he saw it in broad daylight. Afterwards solitude became dear to him and he would go to the Cave of Hiraa' to engage in worship there for several days and nights (Hadrat Aishah has used the word tahannuth, which Imam Zuhri has explained as ta`abbud: devotional exercises.

This was some kind of worship which he performed, for until then he had not been taught the method of performing the Prayer by Allah). He would take provisions with him and stay there for several days, then would return to Hadrat Khadijah who would again provide for him for a few more days.

One day when he was in the Cave of Hiraa', Revelation came down to him unexpectedly and the Angel said, to him: "Read". After this Hadrat Aishah reports the words of the Holy Prophet himself, to the effect,

"I said: I cannot read! There upon the Angel took me and pressed me until I could bear it no more. Then he left me and said: Read. I said: I cannot read! He pressed me a second time until I could bear it no more. Then he left me and said: Read. I again said: I cannot read! He pressed me for the third time until I could bear it no more. Then he left me and said: Iqra' bismi Rabbi kal-ladhi khalaqa: (Read in the name of your Lord Who created) till he reached ma lam ya` lam (what he did not know).

Hadrat Aishah says: "Then the Holy Messenger (upon whom be peace) returned home to Hadrat Khadijah trembling with fear, and said to her: `Cover me, cover me', and he was covered. When terror left him, he said: `O Khadijah, what has happened to me? ' Then he narrated to her whatever had happened, and said: `I fear for my life'.

She said; `No never! Be of good cheer. By God, never will God debase you: you treat the kindred well, you speak the truth, (one tradition adds: you restore what is entrusted to you), you bear the burden of the helpless, you help the poor, you entertain the guests, and you cooperate in good works.

Then she took him to Waraqah bin Naufal, who was her cousin. He had become a Christian in pre-Islamic days, wrote the Gospel in Arabic and Hebrew, and had become very old and blind. Hadrat Khadijah said: `Brother, listen to the son of your brother. ' Waraqah said to the Holy Prophet: `What have you seen, nephew? ' The Holy Prophet described what he had seen. Waraqah said; `This is the same Namus (the Angel of Revelation) which Allah had sent down to Moses. Would that I were a young man during your Prophethood! Would that I were alive when your tribe would expel you! '

The Holy Prophet said: `Will they expel me? ' Waraqah said; `Yes, never has it so happened that a person brought what you have brought and was not treated as an enemy. If I live till then I would help you with all the power at my command. ' But not very long after this Waraqah died. "

5 comments:

Edward Ott said...

You have some really great pictures here of Hajj , thanks for posting them.

Anonymous said...

It looks like a garbage dump in New Jersey. :)

Count Byron said...

I love them all. May you continue with this exalted feeling for many many months to come..
Welcome back Awal

wakden said...

Are you the edward from
[url]http://2000ah.blogspot.com/[/url] ?

Thanks for visiting and thanks for the nice words.

Everytime nice words are mentioned even the molecule crystals in the water transform into beatiful patterns.

wakden said...

Not a garbage dump in New Jersey, Rather some hill sites surrounding Palm Springs, CA